Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"When I get older losing my hair, many years from now..."

Even though I am now at the ripe old age of twenty-four I feel like I am older, or at least my body feels older. "People say you are as you as you feel"- pfft. I feel like at 24 I should not have to worry about health problems but thanks to my awesome mixture of genetics I am. I have a certain doom of hypothyroidism, I was diagnosed with Vasovagal Syncope two years ago and now to add to my list my HDL level is at 20! If you do not know what that is, I will explain...

Each of us has good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. HDL is good and LDL is bad. A normal range of HDL is 50 for women...and as I said above mine is 20!! I receive all of this information via email after getting my thyroid tested[which is STILL in the normal range thank God!]. It being too late to call the doctor, I do some of my own research online... BAD. IDEA. I find a wealth of information that says low HDL levels cause heart attack, stroke and all kinds of horrible things! So, me being the type to be proactive about things' research into the night on what foods I should eat to get my HDL higher. Turns out that an vitamin B3 deficiency causes HDL to be low and the medicine to improve these levels is called "Slo Niacin" which I also looked up and it has all kinds of crazy side effects.

Anyway, I do all of this research. I Freak out thinking that I am going to have a heart attack and or stroke any second. Then when I get to the doctors office three days later he tells me that is not a big deal[right now anyway, when I am 40 is another story]! Apparently since my LDL is also very low [because I am awesome like that], I do not smoke and I do cardiovascular exercise regularly this problem is genetic... thank you genetics. So, I at 24 have begun the long road to getting older in having to take a pill everyday for eternity. I just hope that when I am 65 my list of pills stays under 4 or 5 a day. I feel like that is manageable.

So, overall this rant was about having to take a pill everyday which I am sure some of you had to begin doing way earlier than me but I am still going to pout about it. So, all you people out there it would make me feel much better about my aging self if you would tell me I am not the only one who is doomed at 24. I might as well go ahead and buy one of those "SMTWTFS" pill box things to keep all of my meds straight!

p.s. I am SO totally watching American Gladiators and proud of it!
p.s.s. The quote from my title is from the Beatles song "when I'm 65" ... I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, preach it, Christina! We are too young for this madness! That insane-o surgery I just had... people don't usually get those until their mid-life crisis (when they do actually get them all because they're apparently rare and no one knows what causes them yet). And right now, I'm sitting with a shoulder cramp -- from STRESS. Which makes holding G a pain which makes ME a pain to be around because how am I supposed to sit in the same room with that chunkball and NOT cuddle him to pieces?

    And, I guess this could be the kicker... I already wear BIFOCALS. Yes. Bifocals. Another mid-life "omg" moment.

    ReplyDelete